Define the problem
– What’s happened?
– What’s affected?
– What’s impact?
– Break it down to smaller segments if required.
– What’s resources available to solve the problem?
– Impact vs resources ratio
– What’s possible actions caused the problem? Make a list
– What’s related issues occured in the past? Have they been solved? How?
– Identify any related activities in the same timeframe
– Identified any possible third party involved in the problem and relationships
– Identify and request low level related information (e.g. System Logs, CCTV footage, Access Control System logs)
– Create timeline with all events
– Identify any unusual activity
– Search for patterns
– Is it possible to substitute the problem?
Evaluate possible solutions
– Brainstorm all ideas/solutions
– Ask advise from industry experts
– Is workaround possible or it needs complete solution?
– Costs and outcome for each option?
– Identify consequences
– Document steps for the next stage
– Create rollback plan if required
– Document all activities
– Confirm the outcome is satisfactory
– Execute rollback plan if solution didn’t work
After action report
– Root cause
– What action taken
– Document if mitigation is possible in the future
Contact us if you require problem solving assistance.